Immanuel-Joplin is back to In-Person Services. You can also find our services and sermons on FACEBOOK. We also post them on our WEBSITE.
Worship Service with Holy Communion at 7:00 pm
This is the Thursday in Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter). The day is a time for remembering The Last Supper. The name comes from the Latin word “Mandatum” for “commandment” as Jesus said, “I give you a new commandment; that you love one another.” At the conclusion of this service, altars are stripped of any ornamentation and crosses are removed or veiled to mark the solemnness of the occasion. In the German it is known as “Grundonnerstag” or Green Thursday.
“Return to the LORD your God, for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love.”(Joel 2:13)
God is calling you to return.
Return to the Lord… God’s invitation and promise finds its fullness in Jesus Christ, who personified and accomplishes all that God declares. Follow different events during the Passion, specifically focusing on the people that followed Christ, to see how God calls His people to return to Him this Lenten season.
- Ash Wednesday, February 17 | A Call to Return | Matthew 6:1–6, 16–21
- Midweek 1, February 24 | Return to Prayer | Matthew 36:36–46
- Midweek 2, March 3 | Return from Betrayal | John 18:1–11
- Midweek 3, March 10 | Return from False Witness | Matthew 26:57–68
- Midweek 4, March 17 | Return from Denial | Luke 22:54–62
- Midweek 5, March 24 | Return to the Kingdom of God | John 18:28
- Holy Thursday, April 1 | Return to the Table | Mark 14:12–26
- Good Friday, April 2 | Return to the Truth | John 19:1–16
- Easter Sunday, April 4 | Return and See | Matthew 28:1–10
Follow the Passion narrative and its practical applications for those who walked alongside Jesus as He carried out God’s grace and mercy for all. Listeners will reflect on their own sinful nature, understand how they have turned away, and delight in God’s call to return to Him wholeheartedly.