Bringing Mercy and Compassion
Immanuel’s team of Golden Retrievers and their handlers visit people in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and at community events, sharing mercy and compassion with those hurting or in need. The Joplin Comfort Dogs and their team also responds after disasters all around the country and have become trusted friends to many. More than one hundred LCC K-9 Comfort Dogs are serving Lutheran congregations and schools all around the United States, thanks to the amazing work of Lutheran Church Charities (LCC).
A Comfort Dog is a friend who brings a calming influence and allows people to open up their hearts and receive help for what is affecting them.
Meet the Dogs
Louie and Jackson the Comfort Dogs have been with us at Immanuel Lutheran Church and Martin Luther School since the summer of 2011. The boys are brothers, and have been loving and serving God together their whole lives.
Jackson Comfort Dog
- Birthday: June 19, 2010
- Bible verse: “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.” Romans 12:15
- Special traits: pink nose and a red collar, happy wagging tail and waddle
- Ministry strength: Jackson loves people, especially children.
- Favorite snack: fresh apple
- Favorite way to relax: running, playing, chewing
- Connect with Jackson:
Louie Comfort Dog
- Birthday: June 14, 2010
- Bible verse: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27
- Special traits: black nose and a blue collar, driven and faithful, dashing good looks
- Ministry strength: Louie loves to “vest up” and go to work.
- Favorite snack: popcorn
- Favorite way to relax: napping in a sunny spot
- Connect with Louie:
About Our Work
Joplin’s Comfort Dog team is made up of about a dozen caregivers and handlers — all volunteers — who take the dogs to their visits throughout the week. You’ll see us at the mall, hospitals, nursing care facilities, schools, and at community meetings and events. You also may hear about our deployment work, helping people in need after natural disasters, shootings, and anywhere else that people are hurting. Below, we’ve included a map showing our deployments over the years.
- Sandy Hook, Connecticut, following the school shooting | January 2013
- Moore, Oklahoma, following a devastating tornado | May 2013
- Mayflower, Arkansas, following another deadly tornado | May 2014
- Nashville, Illinois, following a tragic plane crash | January 2015
- Stillwater, Oklahoma, following a deadly homecoming parade crash | October 2015
- Las Vegas, Nevada, following the Mandalay Bay Casino shooting | October 2017
When invited, Team Joplin will do what we can to be there for hurting people, and we never ever charge anyone for what we do. Our Comfort Dog Ministry depends on donations and the church budget to keep us ready to serve whenever and wherever God calls us.
We welcome your prayers and words of encouragement. If you would like to support us financially, tax-deductible contributions are being accepted to the Joplin Comfort Dog Travel Fund. Check out our secure, Online Giving Page hosted by EServicePayments/VANCO or send a check by mail to:
Immanuel Comfort Dogs | 2616 Connecticut Ave | Joplin, MO 64804
Contact the Dogs or Request a Visit
We would love to hear from you! The Joplin Comfort Dogs are available to visit your church or group. Please fill out the form below.
local Comfort dog partners
Louie and Jackson couldn’t do what they do without the help of these Joplin businesses, who provide excellent care and believe in the work we are doing. Thank you to Dr. Michelle Cahill at Academy Animal Hospital and to The Pampered Pooch Day Spa!
Joplin Comfort Dogs In The News
- Cover Story in “J-Mag” by The Joplin Globe – Mar 2018
- MSSU Host Comfort Dogs For Finals Week – Dec 2017
- Comfort Dogs Return From Vegas – Oct 2017