Community (Page 16)

silent witnesses lent daily devotion logo

What’s In The Jar?

WHAT’S IN THE JAR? Daily Devotion for Lent | Saturday, February 17, 2018 Read John 2:1-11. Now there were six stone water jars there for the Jewish rites of purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons. (John 2:6) There were several stone water jars in the house at Cana, meant to be used for washing. These were good-sized jars. They were probably nearly waist high. Filling them up with water would take some time. But once they were filled, the…

Nets or Hooks?

NETS OR HOOKS? Daily Devotion for Lent | Friday, February 16, 2018 Read Mark 1:16-20. Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” (Mark 1:16-17) When I was a child, we would often camp at Kern River in the Sierras and go trout fishing. My family had…

Stones or Bread?

STONES OR BREAD? Daily Devotion for Lent | Thursday, February 15, 2018 Read Matthew 4:1-4. And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” (Matthew 4:3) I suppose the stones by Jesus’ feet looked a little like loaves of bread. To someone who had gone hungry for over a month, they probably really looked like bread. But they weren’t. Nobody wants a mouthful of rocks. Stones…

No Sunday Services

Sunday Activities Canceled Immanuel’s Sunday Worship Services, Sunday School, afternoon Bible Institute and all related activities have been CANCELED for Sunday, February 11, 2018. No Sunday Services. A Winter Weather Advisory, along with slick streets, sidewalks and parking lot have caused us to cancel for safety reasons. Despite the best efforts of road crews and salting of sidewalks, the way to and from Immanuel are a literal “sheet of ice” and are expected to remain that way throughout Sunday morning.…
icy slick roads

No POWERwalk Tonight

Evening Service Canceled POWERwalk, Immanuel’s Service of Prayer, Praise and Preaching has been canceled for Saturday evening, February 10, 2018 at 6:00pm. A Winter Weather Advisory, along with slick streets, sidewalks and parking lot have caused us to cancel for safety reasons. We are currently working to salt the sidewalks in anticipation of more freezing precipitation throughout the day and evening, leading into Sunday morning. We hope to be open for worship on Sunday. In the unlikely event that we…
Jesus wearing crown of thorns - suffering servant

Words to Humble and Strengthen You

From the Desk of Pastor Mech These words are intended to humble and strengthen you as we approach Lent. Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations… A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. -Isaiah 42 And now the Lord says‚ … “It is too small a thing for you…

Saved Through Water

Saved Through Water Daily Devotion for Lent | Wednesday, February 14, 2018 (Ash Wednesday) Read Mark 1:9-11. And when He came up out of the water, immediately He saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on Him like a dove. (Mark 1:10) Water is hard to talk about because it carries so many meanings. Water is a symbol of life— before birth we develop in the water of our mothers’ bodies, and gushing water is a sign…

Food Drive for Crosslines

Donate Food Drive Items For Those In Need Collecting Until Sunday, February 4 Immanuel Lutheran Church’s Stewardship Board is sponsoring a Souper Bowl Canned Food Drive to benefit Crosslines Ministries in Joplin. Bring non-perishable food items by the church or school all this week to help feed Joplin area residents in need. In cooperation with the Youth Ministry Super Sub Sale happening this weekend, anyone who brings a food item to donate will receive free chocolate chip cookies with the…