Growing Continually In Faith with Confirmation Classes
Midweek Classes for Middle School Youth and Parents | Wednesday Evenings During the School Year at 6:45 pm
Midweek Confirmation FAQs
- When and where do the classes meet? Midweek Classes meet on Wednesday evenings during the school year from 6:45 to 8:00 pm. Pastor Ramstad’s 7/8 class is in the Church Fellowship Hall.
- Are parents required to attend the classes? Parents are encouraged to attend class with their grades 7/8 children. Your support and presence communicates to your child that their faith development is important to you. Parent participation enhances the learning too.
- What will students be learning in class? Pastor Chris Ramstad‘s 7/8 class uses Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation and the Bible to guide learners through a 2-year journey through the Six Chief Parts of the Catechism and the basic teachings of the Christian Faith.
- The Ten Commandments
- The Creed
- The Lord’s Prayer
- The Sacrament of Holy Baptism
- The Sacrament of the Altar
- What do students need for class? 7/8 Confirmation students should bring a Bible, Catechism, and something to write with to class each week. Bibles, Catechisms and other learning materials are provided by the church. Looking to the class schedule, students should come to class with memory work prepared.
- Isn’t Wednesday evening Youth Meal Night too? Yes, it is. Youth in grades 6-12 and their friends are invited to come to the Immanuel Youth Center beginning at 5:45 pm for the Youth Meal.
- Students will eat supper, actively connect with friends, and receive a devotional thought that launches them into their Confirmation classes at 6:45 pm.
- While grades 7/8 meet their parents for class, high schoolers stay in the Youth Center for their Bible Study.
- The evening ends for everyone at 8:00 pm.
- What about weather? Does class ever get canceled? Occasionally, weather will prevent us from meeting. As a rule, if Immanuel’s Martin Luther School is canceled for the day, we will not meet that evening for Midweek Classes or Youth Group. If weather is threatening later in the afternoon, check the local TV stations. If it’s dangerous to drive, we encourage you to be safe rather than sorry.
- You can also sign up for Immanuel Youth updates on your phone by using the Remind App. Click this link to get started. https://www.remind.com/join/joplinuth
- What about Confirmation Day for 8th Graders? Confirmation Day is held on the first Sunday of May at the 10:30 am worship service. On the Friday before, confirmands and their families enjoy a banquet hosted by the Elders, located at the church. Eighth graders present their Confirmation Banners and give short speeches explaining their banner, confirmation verse, and what faith means to them.
Stay informed! Sign up for Immanuel Youth Updates on your phone by using the Remind App. Click this link to get started. https://www.remind.com/join/joplinuth
Confirmation Schedule 2023/24
- 27 What is Confirmation / The Creeds
- 4 The Small Catechism / God’s Word
- 11 No Classes this evening
- 18 Worship / Lutheran Confessions
- 25 Introduction to the Commandments / 1st Commandment
- 1 2nd Commandment / 3rd Commandment
- 8 4th Commandment / 5th Commandment
- 15 6th Commandment / 7th Commandment
Thanksgiving, Advent and Christmas Break
- 10 8th Commandment / 9th and 10th Commandments
- 17 Close of the Commandments / Introduction to the Creed
- 24 First Article of the Creed
- 31 Second Article of the Creed
- 7 Third Article of the Creed
Lent and Easter Break (Ash Wednesday is February 14, Easter is March 31)
- 3 Review of the Creed
- 10 Review of the Commandments
- 17 The Church Year
- 24 Life Within the Congregation
Friday, May 3 is the Confirmation Banquet for confirmands and their families at 6:00 pm.
Sunday, May 5 is Confirmation Day at our 10:30 Service!