Preparing For The Future: the NEXT Comfort Dog Campaign
Since 2011, Immanuel Lutheran Church and Martin Luther School in Joplin have served our community with K-9 Comfort Dogs from Lutheran Church Charities. For more than eight years, our remaining Golden Retriever Louie has had a long and distinguished career, serving those who are suffering and in need at local schools, hospitals, nursing care facilities and beyond.
The Joplin Comfort Dog Team has remained “dog-less” since our original two dogs, Louie Comfort Dog and Jackson Comfort Dog, have passed away after many years of faithful service. To continue this important work, Immanuel has been moving forward in faith with the Next Comfort Dog for Joplin campaign.
- Lutheran Church Charities K-9 Comfort Dogs are chosen as puppies and expertly-trained for up to two years at the LCC Comfort Dog schools in Illinois and Nebraska.
- More than 130 of these Golden Retrievers have been matched and placed in LCMS Lutheran churches and schools around the nation.
- Demand is high for Lutheran Church Charities Comfort Dogs — an 18-month waiting list for Comfort Dog placement.
- After applying for the new dog, being approved by LCC, and making the down payment, the 18-month wait begins. At that time, congregations begin an extensive preparation and training process of their own.
- Our time of waiting is nearly over! Previously, the COVID pandemic put everything on hold, but 2022 looks like our year. By God’s grace and timing, we may have our new dog very soon! Stay tuned, Joplin…
The Joplin Comfort Dog Team is operated by volunteers and funded by donations. We never ever charge the people we serve. 100% of donations received go toward the Joplin Comfort Dog work that we are called to do.
Tax-deductible donations can be mailed to:
Immanuel Comfort Dogs
2616 Connecticut Ave
Joplin, MO 64804