Caring For People, Faithfully Serving
Elders Meeting | 7:00 pm on the First Tuesday of the month
[The Board of Elders is to] assist the pastor in providing for the spiritual welfare of the Congregation and also in assuring that the whole Word of God is faithfully proclaimed, and that the sacraments rightly administered.
Quoted from Immanuel’s Constitution and Bylaws.
The Elders of Immanuel Lutheran Church assist the pastor in providing for the spiritual welfare of the congregation and also in assuring that the whole Word of God is faithfully proclaimed, and that the Sacraments are rightly administered. The Board of Elders meets monthly to discuss matters related to worship, the mission of the congregation, and to provide support for the pastor, ministry staff and other workers in the church.
The regular Elders Meeting is held at 7pm on the first Tuesday of the month.
Immanuel’s head elder is Mr. Jeff Schilling. Do you have a question, encouragement or concern to share? Please call the church office (417-624-0333) or contact one of our twelve Elders.
(A link to get to know each of our Elders is coming soon.)
Official Responsibilities of the Board of Elders
(an excerpt from Immanuel’s Constitution and Bylaws)
- The Board of Elders shall consist of the Chief Elder, as chairman, the President, the Vice-president, and eleven elders, recommended together by the Chief Elder and senior pastor and officially appointed by the Church Council. The pastor(s) shall be an advisory member. In accord with Matt. 18:15-16, the Chief Elder, President, and Vice-president shall consider complaints and grievances of members of the congregation, and in accord with Matt. 18:17-18, shall report to the Church Council those grievances which cannot be otherwise resolved. The Chief Elder, President, and Vice-president shall represent the Congregation in sending greetings, commendations, admonitions, or any other messages which may be in order.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Chief Elder, President and Vice-president, and the duty of the Board of Elders to:
- 23.1 Assist the pastor(s) in providing for the spiritual welfare of the Congregation and also in assuring that the whole Word of God is faithfully proclaimed, and that the sacraments rightly administered.
- 23.2 Assure that the services are conducted in a worshipful, welcoming manner.
- 23.3 Assist the pastor(s) in the distribution of Communion, when needed.
- 23.4 Assist the pastor or pastors, if more than one, by annually devoting a portion of at least one Elders’ meeting to in depth discussion and counseling with him or them concerning goals and means for him or them to maximize the performance of his or their pastoral duties.
- 23.5 Be examples of Christian conduct, particularly by faithful participation in worship, Bible study, and congregational activities.
- 23.6 Make every effort to encourage members who have been negligent in their attendance at services, in the use of the Sacraments, and in their financial support of the Church, to seek the Lord’s guidance and forgiveness and to fully enjoy the rights and privileges of their membership.
- 23.7 Assist the pastor(s) in arranging for pulpit assistance, music, special services and guest speakers.
- 23.8 Appoint a head usher or head ushers, and assist in supervising the ushers.
- 23.9 Manage its budget.