Holy Saturday Easter Vigil
7:00 pm Worship Service
Holy Saturday is the day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, marking Jesus’ time in the tomb. Immanuel hosts a special Easter Vigil service to mark the day. This service is appropriate from after sunset on Holy Saturday until sunrise Easter morning. This was the traditional time of baptism in the early centuries of Christianity. This service begins in darkness and a new fire is lit, from which the Christ candle is lighted. It signifies the light of Christ coming into the world anew at the resurrection. This service ends the season of Lent and begins the joy of the Easter season.
Lent 2022 Worship Series
Witnesses to Christ: People from His Passion
This year’s Lent 2022 series paints a stunning portrait of Jesus through the eyes of those whose interactions with Jesus lead us to meditate on His Passion as recorded by St. John in his Gospel. Our overall theme is “Witnesses to Christ: People From His Passion.”
John tells us why he wrote his Gospel:
Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.”John 20:30–31
Life! When we believe that Jesus is the Christ, God gives us life—abundant life, forgiven life, and eternal life.
Historically, the Fourth Gospel is likened to an eagle—an image that suggests John soars to heights of glory and grandeur. That’s because the evangelist paints a stunning portrait of Jesus, who is the bread of life, the resurrection and the life, and the way, the truth, and the life. Life in Jesus. That’s God’s gift to you!
During Lent 2022, our life in Christ will be strengthened as we hear the witness of those in John’s Gospel who journeyed to the cross. Along the way, we’ll meet villains, such as Barabbas and Pontius Pilate, as well as sinners, such as Peter (who denied Jesus three times), Mary Magdalene (who was possessed by seven demons), and Judas Iscariot (who betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver).
Please join us for worship at each Lenten Service as we hear the witness of these people in John’s Gospel:
- Ash Wednesday, March 2: John the Baptist, John 1:29–34
- Midweek of Lent 1, March 9: Mary, the Sister of Lazarus and Martha, John 12:1–11
- Midweek of Lent 2, March 16: Malchus, John 18:1–11
- Midweek of Lent 3, March 23: Peter, John 18:12–27
- Midweek of Lent 4, March 30: Barabbas, John 18:33–40
- Midweek of Lent 5, April 6: Pontius Pilate, John 19:1–16
- Palm Sunday, April 10: The Disciples, John 12:12–19
- Maundy (Holy) Thursday, April 14: Judas Iscariot, John 13:21–30
- Good Friday, April 15: John, the Gospel Writer, John 19:25–37
- The Vigil of Easter, April 16: Nicodemus, John 19:38–42
- The Resurrection of Our Lord, April 17: Mary Magdalene, John 20:1–18